I have been silent for a while – the reason I am working on setting up an Ayurvedic Panchakarma center here in Spain.
Panchakarma is a Sanskrit word that means “five actions” or “five treatments”. It is an ancient system of Ayurvedic detoxification and rejuvenation therapies designed to facilitate the removal of deep rooted toxins in the body. Many diseases are caused by these deep seated toxins which lead to improper digestion, stress, lack of sleep, anxiety, loss of concentration, premature aging, heart disease, diabetes, cancer just to name a few. Normally the body has the innate ability to efficiently process and remove these waste materials. However due to one’s repeated dietary indiscretions, poor exercise patterns, lifestyle a waste matter called ama can accumulate in the body. The purpose of Panchakarma is to extend the lifespan.
The treatments you can expect:
- ABHYANGA – is an individually prepared herbal-oil massage designed to deeply penetrate the skin, relax the mind-body
- SHIRODHARA – methodically pouring warm herbalized oil over the forehead, synchronizing brain waves
- GARSHANA – a dry lymphatic skin brushing with a silk glove. It enhances circulation and cleans the skin so that subsequent oil and herbal treatments can penetrate deeply
- SWEDANA – is an individually herbalized steam bath, during which the head and the heart are kept cool while the body is heated to remove mental, emotional and physical toxins lodged deeply within the tissues.
- PIZICHILL – is a continuous stream of warm herbalized oil soothingly poured over the body
- UDVARTANA – is a deeply penetrating herbal paste lymphatic massage.
- BASTI – is a herbal enema specially prepared to pull toxins out of the colon – to eliminate excess Vata.
- VIRECHANA –
- NASYA – medicating the central nervous system by inhaling medicated oil through the nose
- SHIRO ABHYANGA – head, neck and shoulder massage
- PINDA SWEDANA – is a deep cleansing treatment where rice boiled in milk and herbs (bolus bag) is massaged deeply into the tissues and joints.
- KATI BASTI – warm oil is poured in a dough dam on a specific area of the body
Benefits of Panchakarma:
- eliminates toxins from body and mind
- it improves your health and wellness
- it strengthens your immune system
- slows down your aging process
- it enhances your strength, energy and mental clarity
- it helps you to relax deeply
- it rejuvenates your tissues and helps you to lose weight
- it improves the strength of your digestive juices
In my next posts I will talk in more detail about each of the Panchakarma treatments.